Re: using LDAP as central authentication unit

Hamidreza Hamedtoolloei skrev, on 22-02-2008 03:21:

I've followed one of the online instructions on how to configure my system to use ldap as the user authentication mechanism. below is partial content of my /etc/pam.d/system.auth file:
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

looking at some online resources about how pam works, it seems that unix authentication is being applied first, and only if it fails, ldap authentication is applied. Am I correct here? In other words if all the users are still in /etc/shadow and /etc/passd files.... ldap is NOT being used for authentication. If I delete the users from /etc/passwd... then LDAP is used.... right>?

No, all the modules will be used, but the way they are treated depends on the modifiers {sufficient,required,requisite} and {use_first_pass,try_first_pass,null} (unless you're using Solaris >= 10 where they've been obsoleted).

Best,

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw