Re: Updating a private schema (cn=config)?

Andrzej Jan Taramina wrote:
> Quanah:
>
>> Incorrect.  It is stored in a database of type "ldif".  This may not
>> be "bdb" or "hdb" that you are used to, but it is a type of OpenLDAP
>> database backend.
>
> You know, I tend to call databases, databases and flat files, flat files
> (or sometimes text files). There does tend to be a bit of a difference
> between the two.

Well, database records are most times stored in files at OS level with a
certain file format. The point is that access to cn=config works via
LDAP like with any other OpenLDAP database backend.

> And the *.ldif files found in /etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config/cn=schema are
> pretty much simple flat files, in a slightly modified ldif format,
> basically with some extra attributes defined at the end of the file.

Not sure what "flat files" means for you especially compared to
"database files". LDIF is just a file format. And it was a good idea to
use it since if anything goes wrong in cn=config which would prevent
slapd from start up you can edit LDIF with a simple text editor to fix
the issue.

> And if they are "databases" (which I find hard to believe having looked
> at their internal structure), then one must question the advisability of
> using a .ldif filename suffix, which has very specific meaning.

No problem with the filename suffix .ldif because it is LDIF which could
be parsed by 3rd-party LDIF parsers.

> Either way, sorry but I'm not buying it.

...and I think you're plain wrong. ;-)

Ciao, Michael.