Re: syncrepl failure logs/configuring alias deref

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Howard Chu wrote:

> > That slapd never make a syncrepl request with deref aliases enabled
> > (regardless of global ldap.conf settings), as that will always fail. Or a
> > mechanism allowing specific ldap options to be set for slapd either in the
> > config file or via command line options. Per Howard's suggestion, I opened
> > an ITS for each of those.
>
> I would probably reject the latter, since such mechanisms already exist.
> You're just unwilling to use them.

Other mechanisms which do not offer the same functionality. What would it
hurt to allow ldap library option configuration in slapd.conf? Although if
you implement the first suggestion that would solve my specific problem.

> I should note that /etc/init.d/slapd was not provided by us. A reasonable
> distro packager always provides the ability to source an external config
> file for site-specific options in their init.d scripts. Whether yours
> does or not is not an OpenLDAP Project concern though.

The init script framework allows for setting arbitrary slapd command line
options, but not for running arbitrary shell code.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson@csupomona.edu