Re: problems adding to DB

> I *just* noticed my problem.  I'm trying to follow a tutorial targeted
> at openldap 2.0.21 but I've got 2.2.23 installed.
>
> D'oh!
>
> What would have changed between then and now

you're 3 1/2 years older.

> with respect to my base.ldif
> file?

schema enforcing is waaaay stricter.  Your base ldif violates too many rules.

> base.ldif:
>
> dn: dc=horvitznewspapers, dc=net
> objectClass: top

no structural objectClass; nming attribute with distinguished value not
present in entry.

> dn: cn=Manager, dc=horvitznewspapers, dc=net
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organizationalRole
> cn: Manager

just fine, although "top" is implied and not required

> dn: o=hosting, dc=horvitznewspapers, dc=net
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organization
> o: hosting

just fine, although "top" is implied and not required

hey, that's two out of three! unfortunately, the first is wrong, so
nothing gets written.  Note that OpenLDAP software, much like many other
open projects, are blamed because of the lack of documentation.  Well, all
your errors have been discussed tons of times on the mailing lists, and
are thoroughly described in the quick start guide that accompanies the
software and in the FAQ, so there little to complain about.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it