Re: telephoneNumber Syntax...

--On Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:38 AM +0200 Pierangelo Masarati <ando@sys-net.it> wrote:

I think the problems you might have had are related to the fact that
2.1 used IA5 match rules, while 2.2 uses octetString match;
normalization simply strips whitespace and '-'.  So all your problems
with 2.1 probably disappeared with 2.2.

Not last I checked, but I haven't checked thoroughly lately. Try putting an * in a phone number and let me know if it works.

That's correct; in fact, telephoneNumber syntax is validated by printableStringValidate(), which uses SLAP_PRINTABLE(), which does not contain '*'; I need to check if this is correct (i.e. that SLAP_PRINTABLE() does not contain '*' and that telephoneNumber should validate as printableString) but I'd trust it, although I wouldn't object to a more liberal specification of telephone numbers.

I believe it is correct regarding the RFC. I don't think it should be changed at all. I do think people do need to be aware that it can be very picky when you get odd data pushed into telephone numbers (I saw one tonight where someone put a "#" sign into their extension, which immediately caused it to fail updating their entry).

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems ITSS/TSS/Infrastructure Operations Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html