Re: createtimestamp sorting

> Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>>>I'm using OpenLDAP 2.1.12.
>>>
>>>The attribute createtimestamp is visible and accurate. When I sort
>>> entries by it, however, the results are unpredictable. The attribute
>>> is not in any schema, so I'm assuming it's internally managed. There
>>> isn't
>>
>> It is an operational attribute; it is standard track, however.
>>
>>>Why can't openldap sort on createtimestamp?
>>
>> We can, of course.  I assume you're talking about client side sorting.
>
> I believe I'm talking about server side sorting,

Then I believe you're not talking OpenLDAP, which to my knowledge
does not support server side sorting; please correct me if I'm
wrong

> which appears to work
> fine for any attribute that is assigned an ordering matching rule and
> indexed. If this is not done for 'createtimestamp'

createTimeStamp is assigned generalizedTimeOrderingMatch
matching rule

> because operational
> attributes are handled differently,

I don't see any need to treat operational attributes differently
from regular attributes, especially in this case: create/modifyTimeStamp
are stored in the database (bdb/ldbm) exactly like regular attributes
are.

> or if you need to enforce a
> "standard track schema" that doesn't specify ordering, then I
> understand.

I don't see what standard track has got to do with this.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it