Re: createtimestamp sorting

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
Why can't openldap sort on createtimestamp?
We can, of course. I assume you're talking about client side sorting.
I believe I'm talking about server side sorting,

Then I believe you're not talking OpenLDAP, which to my knowledge does not support server side sorting; please correct me if I'm wrong

Of course you aren't wrong :) I was, and I knew better. Although my software runs server-side, it is on the client side of OpenLDAP and it performs its sorting accordingly.

I found nefarious little the bug (in my code) and fixed it. OpenLDAP sorts createtimestamp just fine; sorry for implying otherwise. Thanks for the responses, and forgive me for taking so long to get back to this now very stale thread.

As it happens, it's just as well I had to work around this problem. I may need that date in a separate attribute in case I have to rebuild the database from ldif, assuming of course that any attempt to explicitly set an operational attribute like createtimestamp would be rejected.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com