Re: ITS #7161, ppolicy pwdFailureTime resolution should be better than 1 second

Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 08:51:02PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
>
>> The *failure* occurred at that instant, not at the instant the request was
>> received. It is simply a matter of correctness.
>
> For my purposes, it doesn't really matter whether the bind is considered
> to have failed as of when it was attempted vs when all the processing
> was completed, so if you prefer the latter I'll rework my patch to keep
> those semanics.
>
>> You need to actually use microseconds, since the time-increment is
>> only unique on the local server and will not guarantee uniqueness in a
>> replication scenario.
>
> Ah, good point.

But even with exact microseconds uniqueness cannot be guaranteed in a
replication scenario.

I also wonder what people who want to see pwdFailureTime replicated expect
when bind requests are load-balanced to different replicas - not unusual.

I don't think that you can meet the expectations of your IT sec folks
regarding exact failure count.

Ciao, Michael.