Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

On 02/07/2014 01:00 PM, Aaron Richton wrote:
(human on workstation)
$RCS checkout repo/production.slapd.conf
$EDITOR !$
$RCS checkin repo/production.slapd.conf

(magical config overlord/human on server)
$RCS checkout repo/production.slapd.conf
cp repo/production.slapd.conf /server/production.slapd.conf
pkill slapd
slapd

these last two are far usually done with a service restart, or, when the service support the online changes, with a service reload or a kill -HUP.

or slapd.d:

(human on workstation)
$RCS checkout repo/production.slapd.ldif
$EDITOR !$
$RCS checkin repo/production.slapd.ldif

(magical config overlord/human on server)
$RCS checkout repo/production.slapd.ldif
ldifdiff /server/production.slapd.ldif repo/production.slapd.ldif >
/tmp/diff.ldif
ldapmodify [...] -f /tmp/diff.ldif
slapcat -n0 -l /server/production.slapd.ldif

These both end up with the same state, and it's the same number of
commands!

As noted before is usually shorter, I can put comment in the file about the change I done, and reverting it is done by using the previous file, and having coherent data and doing modification does not depends in using specialized software over different files.

Not to mention that slapd.conf is still far more readable that any slapd.d ldif...

Regards
Simone
--
Simone Piccardi                                 Truelite Srl
piccardi@truelite.it (email/jabber)             Via Monferrato, 6