Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

--On Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:02 PM +0100 Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@bayour.com> wrote:

I'm all for removing the flat config file, I also think that the new way
is better. But it IS more complicated, no matter how you see it. TO
complicated, no, but still MORE complicated...

Having used both methods for years, I disagree. It is a learning curve to understand the cn=config backend, but once you do, it is far superior to the old flat file, and to me, much easier to use. The main thing at this point that is lacking is getting the admin and quick start guides updated to reference cn=config instead of slapd.conf. I've gotten some progress on that going in the OpenLDAP 2.5 code branch. It is my goal to have both pieces fully "cn=config"'d for 2.5. Also being able to make modifications on the fly to my configuration is a major plus. It has allowed me to script pretty much everything our clients need to do on the ldap side of things.

You may want to read over the various bits I've written for Zimbra.

Our cn=config defaults: <https://github.com/Zimbra-Community/zimbra-sources/tree/master/main/ZimbraServer/conf/ldap/config>

Script to configure MMR:
<https://github.com/Zimbra-Community/zimbra-sources/blob/master/main/ZimbraServer/src/libexec/zmldapenable-mmr>

Script to initialize our ldap server:
<https://github.com/Zimbra-Community/zimbra-sources/blob/master/main/ZimbraServer/src/libexec/zmldapinit>

MDB monitoring script:
<https://github.com/Zimbra-Community/zimbra-sources/blob/master/main/ZimbraServer/src/libexec/zmldapmonitordb>

Script to promote a replica to a MMR member:
<https://github.com/Zimbra-Community/zimbra-sources/blob/master/main/ZimbraServer/src/libexec/zmldappromote-replica-mmr>

etc

Architect - Server
Zimbra, Inc.