FW: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

Sorry, I didn't read the original mailing list...I too wanted to send to the board and not you individually.  My apologies.

-----Original Message-----
From: Borresen, John - 0442 - MITLL
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:16 PM
To: 'Turbo Fredriksson'; Howard Chu
Subject: RE: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

I have experience with OpenLDAP, 389-Directory-Server, OpenDJ, OpenDS, RedHat's Directory Studio.  I am not an LDAP expert by any means (as can be seen by my help posts -- that was supposed to be funny).  While I get aggravated by the difficulty in installing OpenLDAP, the miniscule documentation, and the differing, and often conflicting, documents found via a google search I always recommend OpenLDAP over the other products.  The OpenLDAP Admin Guide, for a product that has been out for a very long time, as far as a how-to-guide, is lacking a lot and seems incomplete -- many areas are simply blank.  The bouncing back and forth between the slapd.conf (old) and the slapd.d (new) methodologies is very aggravating and not helpful (to me).

I understand that there is not just one way to install OpenLDAP...the options are pretty mind-boggling -- and can't all be put in an Admin Guide, the manual as more than a dictionary could be so much more.  With this test environment I've been building over that 2 or 3 months, it's been broken down and restarted, from scratch, at least once a month.  The original environment (the current production) took me about a year to get up and running.

We use the Apache Directory Studio as a front-end GUI to view the dbase, mostly.  Most modifications are via the CLI tools.

Don't get me wrong, even for my "bashing" of OpenLDAP above, it is the first one that I would recommend.  I look at the bright side...each time the slate has to be cleaned and restarted the more I learn.

Dave Borresen