From: "Dieter Klünter" <dieter@dkluenter.de>
To: "openldap-technical@openldap.org" <openldap-technical@openldap.org>
Subject: Ldap password policy not throwing different errors
Date: Sun, Jan 5, 2014 21:33

Am Sun, 5 Jan 2014 15:13:51 +0000
schrieb Idan Fridman <idanf@cellebrite.com>:

Hi,

I use ppolicy overlay and enabled ppolicy_use_lockout to separate
between invalid password and locked accounts.

    database    bdb
    suffix      "dc=openiam,dc=com"
    rootdn      "cn=Manager,dc=openiam,dc=com"
    rootpw      "{SSHA}2ttRoo/t5HuMT2nPxtI6goVUML5R2H9h"
    # PPolicy Configuration
    overlay ppolicy
    ppolicy_default "cn=default,ou=policies,dc=openiam,dc=com"
    ppolicy_use_lockout
    ppolicy_hash_cleartext

I tried to lock user account by entering wrong password couple of
times (pwdMaxFailure)

The user is being locked but when I try to login again I still get
the same error:

Invalid credentials (49)

Any idea why i am not getting diffrent error to disticnt between the
cases?

1. there is no appropriate result message for password policy. RFC 4511
Section 4.1.9  defines all result messages and Appendix A provides in
brief a general description.
2. In your particular case result 49 is a substitution in order to
prevent an unauthorized disclosure.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://dkluenter.de

This e-mail and the information it contains may be privileged and/or
confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s). If
you are not the intended recipient you may not disclose, copy, distribute or
retain any part of this message or attachments. If you have received this
e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately [by clicking 'Reply'] and
delete this e-mail.

--
  -- Howard Chu