Re: OpenLDAP on CF disk

Hi,

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013, richard lucassen wrote:

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 06:51:40 -0800
Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

I wonder whether switching to back-mdb would be a better solution.

If the machine is 64 bit, yes absolutely. If the machine is 32 bit,
depends on how large the DB can grow, since there's a 2-3GB limit on
the address space.

Also while the main DB file would be 99% read-only, the lock.mdb file
would not. In an application like this it's a good idea to symlink
the lock.mdb file to a RAM filesystem/tmpfs.

Let me put things more clear: it is a 32 bit Ubuntu-8.04 (yes I know,
very old) with this version:

2.4.9-0ubuntu0.8.04.5

There is a master and two slaves. I prefer not to upgrade for some
non-ldap reasons. All config is AFAIK in slapd.conf, there is no slapd.d
directory. The database contains *tens* of entries, when I open the
database with ldapvi I find 93 entries. IOW: this is a very very small
database.

Let me put it this way:

The only files that are regularly altered are these files:

__db.001
__db.002
__db.004

What happens if I symlink these files to a RAMDISK? And what happens
after a reboot or power outage? Do I get a corrupted database?

as others have said before configuring a shm_id would prevent those
files from being generated in the first place as berkeley db locks, cache and such would then be in sys v shared memory and not in file backed shared memory.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck@cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2