Re: Synchronous or asynchronous replication

--On Friday, September 27, 2013 2:46 PM -0500 espeake@oreillyauto.com wrote:

We have a 3 node N-Way Multi master set running 2.4.31.  I have been
looking and trying to find a way to have asynchronous replication because
synchronous replication is not required and we believe is actually slowing
us down.  I read in one article that by default n-way multi-master was
doing asynchronous replication.  But then another article kind of mucked
that up.  I ran through all of my db files with db_stat to get the
internal pages and page size to be sure that my DB_Config was set with a
large enough paging space and from my calculations it has more than
enough.  Not enough to cache the entire db, but enough.

So how can I be sure that we are using asynchronous replication with the
n-way mulri master configuration.

What you should do is use delta-syncrepl based MMR with OpenLDAP 2.4.36. Delta-syncrepl based MMR only replicates the exact changes that occurred, rather than the entries, vastly reducing the amount of data being transferred between nodes. I would also recommend switching to back-mdb with OpenLDAP 2.4.36, as it handles writes at *least* 50 times faster than back-hdb/back-bdb.

I've already told you *multiple* times that there are known bugs with the MMR code in 2.4.31, and you will end up having data issues, yet you continue to ignore this. Why, is beyond me. Stop wasting your time and everyone else's by insisting to run out of date code with known bugs.

Lead Engineer
Zimbra Software, LLC