Re: Changing domain name

> On 09/26/13Â14:37Â+0300, Jukka Tuominen wrote:
>>I'm in the process of changing the domain name of a
>>kerberos/openafs/openldap server on ubuntu 10.04 LTS. ldap provides the
>>user metadata such as homedir location, user and group id, etc. The
>> server
>>itself remains the same as well as the IP number. Actually I cloned it,
>> so
>>I can still access the old, working instance (only one server running at
>>any time, since the IP is the same).
>>
>>I followed instructions telling to
>>
>>1) export the old data...
>>   slapcat -v -l ldap.diff
>>
>>2) replace the old domain instances with the new ones using gedit
>>
>>3) remove the old data
>>   rm -rf /var/lib/ldap/*
>
> Did you recreate this directory?

No. I think the above command removes the contents only, but leaves the
/var/lib/ldap in place? I checked the original installation and it seemed
to contain the same files.

>>4) import the updated data back
>>   slapadd -l new-ldap.diff
>>
>>5) and restore dir permissions
>>   chown -R openldap:openldap /var/lib/ldap/*
>>
>>However, whereas the export went seemingly fine,
>>importing and manipulating the new data required to point the specific
>>slapd.conf file. E.g. slapadd or slapindex without -f
>> /etc/ldap/slapd.conf
>>would raise an error:
>>   Available database(s) do not allow [action].
>
> So it does work with -f or doesn't? I'm not clear.

With -f it works.

> If you modified the suffix in your new-ldap.diff, did you also modify the
> suffix in your slapd.conf?

Yes I did. And with -f I was pointing the very same file. Weird!
I'm not at all familiar with ldap, so I may be overlooking something very
simple.

br,jukka