Re: Multi-master setup in debian

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013, Bernd May wrote:

Hi,

On 17.09.2013 16:27, Listas de Correo wrote:
Well, that does not look so easy to me (that's why I'm asking for help :)
), specially considering that I already have a working LDAP working with
several hundreds users relying on them to do their work, so it's not
possible to me to start from scratch, I have to use what I already have
(and not break anything in the process).

I had a similar situation here a few years ago. The only viable solution
for me was to setup a new vm, compile openldap from source myself,
export data from the old ldap as plain ldif and import it into the new
one. Then test around get to know what I want, configure it and then
slowly migrate everything from the old to the new server.

I guess you won't get around that process either. Otherwise you will
have to rely on outdated OpenLDAP versions with all the bugs that this
incurs.

I suggest starting with a new vm, compiled openLDAP and the old server
slapd.conf file and try to setup your future to be server from there.

exactly. In the age of virtualization and cheap vms it is very hard to
understand this kind of resistance.

There is a point at which you just cannot support an ancient installation
anymore.  This applies not only to openldap but also to any old linux
distro or to whatever it system.

The later you update the more pain you experience.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck@cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2