Re: Multi-master setup in debian

Listas de Correo wrote:
> I've "inherited" from a former sysadmin (among many other things) an LDAP
> server to administer :) ... it's installed on Debian 6.0; it's currently
> working ok but the company has another remote site now and wants to have a
> secondary LDAP server on the new location (in order to support the new
> remote users).
>
> Looking into the documentation I think the best configuration option is a
> N-way multi-master replication setup; unfortunately, I don't have
> experience with LDAP so I found difficult to implement this; I've found
> some good tutorials on the web but they're written for other versions of
> LDAP (for example, they use slapd.conf but on Debian, the configuration is
> in several directories under /etc/ldap/slapd.d).
>
> My big question is: ¿do you know of any resource (url link, book, whatever)
> that I can use as a reference to make this configuration? (in particular,
> I'd be more than happy if provides some examples in Debian). Of course, I'm
> willing to do my own work (study, research, etc) but I need some guidance
> regarding where to start (assume I have little LDAP knowledge).

Today it's so easy to set up two virtual machines with your favourite OS and
work through the replication chapter in the admin guide.

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html

You mentioned Debian. I'd recommend not to use the Debian packages and compile
OpenLDAP 2.4.36+ yourself instead.

Ciao, Michael.