Re: Multi-master setup in debian

On Tue, 2013-09-17 at 11:27 -0300, Listas de Correo wrote:

>         Today it's so easy to set up two virtual machines with your
>         favourite OS and
>         work through the replication chapter in the admin guide.
>
>         http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html
>
>         You mentioned Debian. I'd recommend not to use the Debian
>         packages and compile
>         OpenLDAP 2.4.36+ yourself instead.
>
>         Ciao, Michael.
>

> Well, that does not look so easy to me (that's why I'm asking for
> help :) ), specially considering that I already have a working LDAP
> working with several hundreds users relying on them to do their work,
> so it's not possible to me to start from scratch, I have to use what I
> already have (and not break anything in the process).
>

> For the reason above, I can't compile OpenLDAP myself (I have to use
> what is already there).

thinking you are going to implement change in a production environment
without breaking anything is crazy, given that you have little to no
working knowledge on the subject.  you have to find a non-prod
environment to work out the details in.

some resources i found (in addition to the admin guide already
suggested):
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/documents/ldap/ldap-setup-1202.html

the above helped me with some of the replication details.  the article
is dated (old), but you want to understand the concepts at this point,
not the details yet.

http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html

the above helped with some of the integration of other services, such as
kerberos and sasl.  some other details covered might help you.

most important things are to read and test.