Re: Any issue on random OIDs?

Geo P.C. wrote:
> For our openldap server we created custom attributes by giving random OIDs
> like 2.25.10.1, 2.25.10.100.10 etc

That's not how OID arc 2.25 is supposed to work.

> Please let us know is there any issue in giving random OIDs for attributes
> and object classes. Also is there any issue in future while using this. Can
> anyone please advise us on this.

OID conflicts.

> Also I came to know that we can create OIDs without registering.

Why don't you get your own IANA enterprise number? In your own OID arc you can
assign any OID you want.

OpenLDAP Faq-O-Matic:
How do I obtain an OID arc for my use?

> From this
> site http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/asn1/cgi-bin/uuid_generate I can create UUID
> but from where I can convert this UUID to OID?

Convert it yourself, e.g. with Python

import uuid
my_id = int(uuid.UUID('97701b20-c941-11e2-8299-0002a5d5c51b'))

> Suppose when we convert this UUID to decimal shall we can use it
> permanently without any issue?

Every's written on the web page you've cited.
There's a small chance for  UUIDs conflicts.

Ciao, Michael.