Re: best practices for backing up ldap configuration

On December 14, 2012 09:26:10 AM Michael Ströder wrote:
> Venkat wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com
> >
> > <mailto:michael@stroeder.com>> wrote:
> >     Well, if you're already using a VCS why not just use static
> >     configuration
> >     files.
> >
> > One reason against using static configuration is that the server needs to
> > be stopped and started when making a simple ACL change.
>
> If HA is really important I guess one has a load-balancer in front of
> several replicas. So restarting one after another results in zero downtime
> seen from the clients.

We do run a cluster of several replicas, but I'm still a fan of having a
central repository of configuration not to mention a nice timeline of all the
changes made on the configuration.

> Personally I still prefer to use static configuration and fully automated
> installation/configuration (with puppet manifests pulled from SVN). That's
> really easy with text files compared to dealing with dynamic configuration.

I've seen this issue debated on this list many times, and although there are
some who like the ease of use of a slapd.conf, it is deprecated and who knows
if support for it will be dropped at some point or not.