best practices for backing up ldap configuration

Hello everyone,

Are there any best practices for backing up ldap configuration? Our current
approach is to run a nightly diff on the output of "slapcat -l -b cn=config' and
if it has changed, the new ldif is comitted to svn.

 Ideally, I'd like to just add the slapd.d directory to svn, and everytime it
changes I'd checkin the new version. But I have a feeling that the ".svn"
directories that will be created are going to cause trouble.

Is there better way of doing this?

Thanks,
--
Khosrow