RE: Migrating from RHDS to openldap

Thanks for the info. I know for sure that cost is part of the equation from moving off RHDS. Not sure if 389 directory server is the way they want to go or if openldap will suffice. Again thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@symas.com]
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 6:17 AM
To: Allgood, John
Cc: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Migrating from RHDS to openldap

Allgood, John wrote:
> Hey Guys
>
> We are looking to migrate off our current RHDS environment to openldap. I have
> searched the internet and have found documentation that migrates to RHDS. RHDS
> is pretty expensive and we will like to move away from that platform. Has
> anyone had any experience with doing this type of migration? Any suggestions
> are welcome.

I would guess that this type of migration is not too different from migrating
off SunDS. But if cost is your only concern, you may just want to look into
switching to their free server. As I understand it, they're nearly identical,
so that would seem to be the most transparent change.

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

If you've already looked at that and have determined that it won't suit you,
then of course OpenLDAP is the best choice. Even so, minor differences in the
way various features are implemented may require some adaptation/adjustments.
If you're still planning to go with paid support, obviously members of the
OpenLDAP community can give you pointers there as well.

--
   -- Howard Chu