Re: openldap does not want to write log files?

Based on the way he appears to be trying to route log messages syslogd would need the ability to write to the log file in /var/log not the slapd user unless he is using the slapd.conf call to logfile.

A couple of things to look at:

Is there an entry in you slapd.conf for logfile?
								i.e. logfile /var/log/slapd
Try using a a different local4 call in your syslogd.conf.
							local4.*           /var/log/slapd

I have found that if you have the local4.* redirect in syslogd and a logfile call in your slapd.conf going to same /var/log/slapd  it will get overwritten, have permission issues, and not log.

Chris Jackson