Re: slapd.conf for proxy to AD

On Wednesday, 9 February 2011 01:13:38 masarati@aero.polimi.it wrote:

> As far as I recall, what you need is not possible.  You can:
>
> - have authenticated users proxied with their identity asserted, or
>
> - all users, including unauthenticated ones auth'd as a fixed identity
>
> but not both.  Please note that you're asking OpenLDAP's slapd to bridge
> the gap between two broken pieces of code: clients that cannot be
> configured to bind,

Because the OP wants to have anonymous access for some clients of the proxy
does not necessarily mean the software is broken, there could be
organisational reasons (e.g. AD administrator not prepared to create multiple
proxy accounts for different applications).

> and AD that cannot be configured to accept anonymous
> requests (AFAIK).

Again, AD can be configured to allow anonymous binds, but AFAIK as of Windows
2003, it is disabled by default, and many AD security standards (used by e.g.
financial auditing companies in their IT auditing) mandate that it not be
enabled.

> Feel free to suggest an enhancement that allows to
> handle this scenario, though.

IMHO, it would make sense to support this mode of operation.

Regards,
Buchan