Re: cannot bind to ldap other user as root

Sandor Szalina <sszalina@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- On Wed, 8/9/10, Marc Patermann <hans.moser@ofd-z.niedersachsen.de> wrote:
>
>> From: Marc Patermann <hans.moser@ofd-z.niedersachsen.de>
[...]
>> Sandor Szalina schrieb am 08.09.2010 12:16 Uhr:
>>
>> > I have installed the openldap 2.2.13 with rpm on Red
>> Hat Enterprise
>> > Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 8) I have set the
>> TLS setting too.
>> Man, 2.2.13 is ancient:
>> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-announce/200406/msg00002.html
>> You really should try a /newer/ release.
>>
>> > With the user root I can start the ldapsearch and I
>> receive the
>> > result successfully, the ldap client can connect to
>> the ldap server.
>> >  However if I login with another user I receive
>> the following
>> > message: ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
>> >
>> > What can be the problem? Thanks for the help in
>> advance,
>> You did not provide any details
>> - on how to uses ldapsearch and
>> - about the server and client side config

> Thanks for your mail. Here is the information:
>
> The running slapd process is:
> ldap     21697     1  0 07:14 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/slapd -u ldap -h ldaps://*:8108 -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
>
> The slapd.conf is:
>
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/local.schema
>
> allow bind_v2
>
> pidfile         /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
> argsfile        /var/run/openldap/slapd.args
>
> TLSCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM:+SSLv2
> TLSCACertificateFile /etc/openldap/cacerts/cacert.pem
> TLSCertificateFile /etc/openldap/servercrt.pem
> TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/openldap/serverkey.pem
>

> database                bdb
> suffix          "dc=test"
> rootdn          "cn=Admin,dc=test"
>
> rootpw          mypasswd
>
> directory       /var/lib/ldap
>
> index objectClass                       eq,pres
> index ou,cn,mail,surname,givenname      eq,pres,sub
> index uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell    eq,pres
> index uid,memberUid                     eq,pres,sub
> index nisMapName,nisMapEntry            eq,pres,sub
>
> The port 8108 is opened in the firewall.
>
> On the client side there is .ldaprc in the home directory with the following content:
>
> TLS_REQCERT allow

The client needs to have knowledge of the certificate authority in
order to verify the server certificate, thus specify TLS_CACERT or let
the client not have to verify the server certificate, which is not
advisable.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung