RE: Adding Schema

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Clarke [mailto:jonathan@phillipoux.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 11:03 AM
To: Alexander Erameh
Cc: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Adding Schema

On 01/07/2010 10:05, Alexander Erameh wrote:
> On 28/06/2010 10:58, Alexander Erameh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just joined this list, so please pardon me for any mistakes.
>>
>> I have been trying to add "*CourierMailAccount*" object class and
>> "*qmailUser*" object class for days without success. I created a schema
>> file and defined the Attributetypes and Object classes and added the
>> file in the Include statement in slapd.conf but SLAPD does not seem to
>> recognize the new object classes.
>>
>> When I try to add users to the Database using LDAPADD, I get the error
>> message below:
>>
>> *"ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)*
>>
>> * additional info: objectClass:value #2 invalid per syntax"*
>>
>> The #2 objectClass is "qmailuser".
>>
>> Suggestions and advice will be appreciated.
>
> After adding the include to slapd.conf, you did restart slapd?
>
> When adding users via ldapadd, are you sure that there are no trailing
> spaces after "objectclass: qmailuser"?
>
> If your problem still occurs, try posting an excerpt of the LDIF that
> fails, and your config.
>

> Yes, I restarted slapd, and I have even rebooted the machine several times
> since but the problem remains.
> I am attaching four files in .txt format.
> The file new-attributes.txt contains the new attributes I added. This file
> was converted from .schema to .txt.
> The file new-object.text contains the new objects I added
> The file slapd.txt is my slapd.conf
> The file socotherm-africa.txt is the ldif file containing the new users I
> want to add to the database.

The entries you're trying to add have these objectClasses:
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: person
> objectClass: qmailuser
> objectClass: CourierMailAccount
> objectClass: inetOrgPerson
> objectClass: organizationalPerson

However, "person" and "qmailuser" are both structural objectClasses. You
can only have one structural objectClass per object. You should probably
adapt qmailUser and courierMailAccount to be structural...

Note that a confusing side effect of objectClass inheritance
(inetOrgPerson extends organizationalPerson which extends person, etc)
is that seemingly several structural objectClasses appear in a single
entry. This is in effect just one objectClass, the lowermost in the
inheritance chain.

Pardon me please, are you suggesting I should adapt qmailuser and
courierMailAccount NOT to be structural since person is already Structural?

Alexander