Difficulty configuring a shared addressbook

Despite following 2 tutorials, seems we're not able to get openldap configured correctly. Since this had to be done yesterday, is there anyone on this list who is available for an hour or 2 of consulting to get this running? Ideally tonight (Pacific time).

Server is running fine, and no problem logged in as manager, but can't add the schema or a new user (dies with "Server is unwilling to perform (53) -- additional info: no global superior knowledge" or "ldapadd: No such object (32)"). Also TLS dies with "TLS: peer cert untrusted or revoked (0x42)" even though we are using a good, working SSL certificate.

Also concerned about any unexpected issues trying to get a shared addressbook working across Thunderbird, Outlook, and others.

Many thanks.