LDAPS queries in C/C++ - conceptual question

Hello,

I was asked to expand some C++ software to do ldap queries with TLS on a server with SSL certificate.
We want the server to authenticate by its certificate so our software is protected from fake servers.

Before I dig too deep into the API, I would like to know:

- Is it possible with LDAP API to extract the servers certificate data to verify its integrity?
- or should I program it directly with openSSL API?

Thank you for sharing your wisdom,

kind regards,
---
Robert Welz