Re: How To set things up to allow users to change their passwords

Robert Heller wrote:
> At Sat, 05 Dec 2009 19:41:26 +0100 Zdenek Styblik <stybla@turnovfree.net> wrote:
>
>> Robert Heller wrote:

>>> It already has a rootdn/rootpw, much like the sample one
>> Should we have a crystal ball? You haven't shown us a bit of your
>> configs and expecting miracles?
>
> Basically pretty much straight from section 6.3 of the Admin guide.

Well, ok then. Btw you're reading guide for 2.4.x (and you have 2.3.x).
Anyway. Yes, 'Admin' entry != Manager entry. It's probably been added
later by 3rd application, or using % slapadd; or % slapmod;
It's example how to grant permissions to attributes.

>> Yes, I'm being rude. Yes, I found your question as a "basic know-how"
>> thing. Also, whole thing can be studied in many books out there. And
>> believe it, it's not that much to read.
>
> I've *been* reading the admin guide.  It is just not clear to me.
>
>> Also, if you are looking for some very specific how-to which is going to
>> be tailored specially for you, I somewhat resigned on such ideas. But
>> yeah, I'm no surprised. There are also Bubuntu, Debian, etc. how-tos
>> [oh, well - google?].
>
> I'm using CentOS (RHEL).

This is not Windows. This is world of GNU/Linux. I'm just surprised by
assumption (usually employer's vision) you have to know some
distribution inside and out to be able to administer it. It's GNU/Linux
and it doesn't matter if it's called CentOS, Fedora, Bubuntu, Gentoo or
what not.
I'm not going to google for you, sorry. If there is no specific how-to
for CentOS, which I almost fail to believe, then improvise. Read how-to
for other distro and put pieces together. I presume you know how to
install packages in CentOS, don't you? You should be able to handle the
rest. I can imagine only location of files and text editor used will differ.

>> If you don't want to waste time with setting up OpenLDAP, which you
>> should if you're real about using it, then pay somebody. There are
>> companies doing it for living.
>>
>>> (in section
>>> 6.3) for 'cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com', the sample slapd.config has this also.
>>> The slapd.config in section 6.3 *ALSO* refers to the DN
>>> "cn=Admin,dc=example,dc=com", which is *PRESUMABLY* separate from
>>> "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com".  How do a specify a password for this
>>> *OTHER* DN?
>> You will use % slappasswd; to generate HASH password. Then, you will use
>> % ldapadd; or % ldapmod;, to add new user entry with DN:
>> 'cn=Admin,dc=example,dc=com'. Please, do read manual pages for those, or
>> some books about LDIF.
>
> I've read the docs, they just don't seem clear.

I've just described you whole process. What exactly isn't clear?
btw Why don't you use some 3rd application like eg. Apache's Directory
studio? I'm pretty sure I'd make things easier (and faster) for you.

>>> Or is the slapd.conf in section 6.3 just being gratiously
>>> confusing for no good reason?
>> Well, that's possible. It's been written by people. If there are
>> mistakes, please, point them out (ideally with appropriate fixes), so
>> they can be fixed/clarified. Yeah, Admin's guide isn't perfect. In a
>> fact, some sections are missing, or lack information.
>>
>>> I understand that the rootdn was write
>>> access to everything, no matter what the ACLs say.  I presuming that the
>>> ACL with "cn=Admin,dc=example,dc=com" is to allow someone else access to
>>> updating accounts.  How do I set this other person's password?  Is this
>>> in the database, slapd.conf or ldap.conf or someplace else?
>>>
>> Use % ldapmod;.

>> Zdenek

Zdenek

--