Directory migration

Hi, I'm trying to migrate my directory from one server to another (I'm
building a replacement server and want to test everything before changing
over).
The old server is FreeBSD 5 with openldap-server-2.3.39
The new one is FreeBSD 7.1 with openldap-server-2.3.43

I thought I would be able to use ldapsearch to dump the contents of the old
server to an ldif file and then import it into the new one using ldapadd.

That seemed to work, but when I tried to login on a workstation which is
configured to use ldap authentication (and works fine when attached to the
old server), my login fails. If I change my password to what it's supposed to
be and then try to login, it works.

So it appears that the passwords for user objects are not being transferred
correctly from the old system to the new (all the other information seems
correct).

I'm using md5 passwords on both systems (the freebsd default) and I've checked
that the new server & the workstation are set to use md5.

I also tried using slapcat to create the ldif file, but that made no
difference. If I look at the encrypted password before and after resetting
it, the password hashes are different, even though they are supposedly the
same password. I've tried this several times and can't get it to work.

Do I need to do something else to transfer passwords correctly from one server
to another?

--
Ian
gpg key: http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~imoore/no-spam.asc