Notify mechanism for changes on a specific directory?

Hello,

I'm working on a remote management system that uses LDAP for storing policies.
Clients pull policies from server periodically, but we sometimes need to push
policies to clients instantly. Polling LDAP every five seconds is not an
option, of course.

Is there any auto notification mechanism for LDAP that notifies client about
changes on a specific directory? I've searched archives but could not find
anything.

Thanks in advance,
Bahadir Kandemir