Re: Need to configure openLDAP client to request authenication in LDAP version 2 format

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 18:20:28 Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Monday, June 23, 2008 11:28 AM -0400 kenglund <kenglund@sbc.edu> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > I am installing a new version of our Zope/Plone software for hosting our
> > web portal.  The new software is using a product called PloneLDAP, which
> > (I think) in turn requests authentication using openLDAP client.
> > openLDAP is authenticating through our mail server, which wants bind
> > requests in version 2 format. Modification of the mail server software to
> > use version 3 authentication does not seem to be an option, as (according
> > to my Tech guy) it is "really not LDAP", but has an "LDAP Like"
> > interface.  The interface requires the bind to look like this:
>
> Either your tech guy is on crack, since LDAP v3 is the current LDAP
> protocol version, and has been for many years, or you have a
> misunderstanding somewhere along the way of what they were saying.

Or, the software in question *really* only does do LDAPv2. This is the case
with a lot of proprietary software from supposedly reputable vendors.

Either way, it doesn't seem that the library can set the LDAP protocol version
(so, you can't put it in an OpenLDAP configuration file). You will have to
see whether PloneLDAP supports setting the protocol version. It doesn't
appear possible via configuration (from what I have seen), you may have to
hack PloneLDAP up a bit, or get a real LDAP server ....

Regards,
Buchan