Consumer bdb log explosion

We are running slapd 2.3.43 (Using bdb db4-4.3.29-10.el5) with one provider and two consumers and syncrpl (kerberos/SASL based).
Occasionally when heavy changes to the provider are made, the consumer bdb logs go crazy and fill up the bdb volume.
When this occurs we see approximately 1 10MB file created per second until the 14GB of free space in the volume has been exhausted, often in around an hour.
These packages are from the Buchan Milne repo.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(I have ldap-hot-db-backup running hourly)

DB Volume size  = 14GB free.
1 10MB file per second

DB_CONFIG
set_lk_max_lockers 8000