Re: use dynlist for company name? A second question of practical use of dynlist

Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> writes:

> I am setting up a business directory of contact persons and companies. I
> have this structure in mind:
[...]
> My problem: if a company updates its name, it has to be updated in 2
> places: the company record, and the person record. If company name
> change is only updated in ou=company1, the search for "finds all people
> working in ABC Co.ltd" would not work as expected.
>
> Updating company names in 2 places causes 2 problems: 1: more work; 2:
> potentially the two doesn't match, then we have to align the records.
>
> I wish to use dynlist for o attribute for the entries in ou=persons. But
> that means dynlist is used in thousands of records. Is this a proper
> practical use of dynlist?

It is not so much a matter of quantities but a matter search
frequency.  I have for example 2 dynamic lists with some 9k entries
each and the search results are quite sufficient:

time ldapsearch -Y external -ZZ -H ldap://localhost -b
"cn=dynamicgroup,o=avci,c=de" -s base "*"

real    0m2.236s
user    0m0.028s
sys     0m0.016s

But the search is done quite rarely. so it wouldn't have any influence
on the overall performance, but if such a search would occur quite
frequently, say a few searches every second, than this would have a
bad influence on performance.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung