From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@symas.com]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 3:36 PM
To: Lemons, Terry
Cc: Kyle_Chapman@g1.com; openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: DIGEST-MD5 returns 'user not found'

lemons_terry@emc.com wrote:
> Hi Howard
>
>> The SASL library tries all available information sources. If there
was
>> "root" user record in your sasldb2 file it would have been used.
Since
>> your sasldblistusers2 output shows "root@tivo2" I'd say you have the
>> wrong realm info in your database, as that doesn't match either
"root"
>> or "root@tivo2.backup".
>
> And that was the problem.  When I added "root@tivo2.backup" to the
sasl
> database, ldapsearch worked!  MANY thanks for this!
>
> It's interesting (at least, to me) to note that I didn't need any of
the
> authentication identity mapping entries (as described in section
11.2.4
> of the "OpenLDAP Software 2.3 Administrator's Guide" to make this work
> (not even the "password-hash {cleartext}" entry that some resources
said
> to add).

Those config items are only needed if you intend to use entries in LDAP
for the SASL authentication info, instead of sasldb. Generally, that is
the best thing to do.

> So what gives this SASL mechanism the authority to perform tasks via
> LDAP?

Authentication and authorization are two separate things. When you
configure your server to support SASL, that means you want to trust SASL

to authenticate users. Regardless of authentication mechanism, ACLs are
used to grant authority to particular users to perform various tasks.

--
   -- Howard Chu