Re: Referrals chased, but not using right creds

Thanks for the answer.

I've modified my client with ldap_set_rebind_proc, and now it
successfully rebinds to the referred server.

After it binds successfully and does a search, my client goes into a
infinite loop.

Looking with ethereal it looks like the loop is of search, server
error, search, server error, etc. The server error I get each time is
this (courtesy of ethereal)...

Error Message: 0000202B: RefErr: DSID-12345678, data 0, 1 access
points\n\tref 1: 'my.server.example.com'\n
ERROR: Couldn't parse referral URL sequence header: Wrong type for that item
ERROR: Couldn't parse LDAP Controls: Wrong type for that item

Any ideas?

  Thanks,
- Jeremiah

On 9/14/06, Pierangelo Masarati <ando@sys-net.it> wrote:
Jeremiah Martell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm seeing something strange (or perfectly normal) with openldap in
> regards to referrals.
>
> I set LDAP_OPT_REFERRALS to LDAP_OPT_ON, and LDAP_OPT_DEREF to
> LDAP_DEREF_ALWAYS. When I do a search openldap successfully chases
> down referrals, but when it binds to the referred server, it does so
> anonymously.
>
> Is this expected? Should I be able to say to use the same creds as the
> referring server? Is there something else I may be missing?

OpenLDAP clients, by design, rebinds anonymously when automatically
chase referrals.  If you want a different behavior you should write your
own client and use ldap_set_rebind_proc(3) to customize the way you want
bind to be propagated when chasing referrals.  A quick solution would be
to customize existing clients, e.g. ldapsearch(1).

The reason this is not automatically done has been discussed many times,
so I suggest you search the archives.  To make it short, it's insecure
to give away credentials that way, unless you know you can trust the URI
you are being referred to; and you may know only if you see it.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.n.c.
Via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA