Re: SysV-ish Init Script: Run Levels?

Tony Earnshaw <billy@billy.demon.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 11:19 -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
>
> > G'day all,
> >
> > Recommendations for run levels for a SysV-ish init script for
> > RH Linux and Sun Solaris (and similar) systems?
>
> *The* (ex Postfix, linxnet.com) Jim Seymour?

That'd be the one.  (Yeah, haven't been seen 'round those parts much
lately.  Been busy with many, many other things [being outside during
summertime amongst them], and, quite frankly, what with spammers,
virus-/worm-/Trojan-writers, and irresponsible, anti-social ISPs, I've
become rather fed up with the whole email thing.  I wish I could just
shut it off entirely.  Yes, really.)

> Red Hat (me RHAS4):
>
> It depends on what you're running as OpenLDAP and whether it's Red Hat's
> distro version or not. Here's my /usr/local, self-compiled based 2.3.9
> version, attached (if the ML accepts attachments). Goes
> in /etc/rc.d/init.d, then:
>
> - chkconfig ldap off
> - chkconfig ldap on
>
> Other Linux vendors, or Solaris, might put it in /etc/rc.d, in which
> case you might not, probably won't, get chkconfig (grace à SGI).

Thanks, Tonni.

I see no reason chkconfig couldn't be added to a Solaris installation,
btw.  I've occasionally considered doing it.

Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at <http://jimsun.linxnet.com/scform.php>.