Re: How to raise the open file descriptor limit for slapd?

I was able to get past the fd limit on Linux. Aside from the /etc/security/limits.conf mod:
* soft nofile 4096
* hard nofile 4096

You need to add to /etc/pam.d/other
session    required   pam_limits.so

Then restart your slapd process.

Cheers,
Robert

David Landgren wrote:

Karsten Gorling wrote:
>>I have a fairly heavily used openldap-2.2.28 server in production and I
>>am running into the 1024 fd descriptor limit. From time to time I get
>>
>>  1024 beyond descriptor table limit 1024
>

> That is more an OS issue than an OpenLDAP-Issue. Which OS are you
> using? On Linux look up the file /etc/security/limits.conf.

It is Linux as it happens. We added

*       hard    nofile  4096

to /etc/security/limits.conf at the same time that we added

        ulimit -n 4096

to the init.d script for ldap. All this did was to change the syslog
error message from

   daemon: accept(6) failed errno=24 (Too many open files)

   daemon: 1024 beyond descriptor table size 1024

which to me smells like a recompilation is required. If there's another
way I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
David
--
"It's overkill of course, but you can never have too much overkill."

--
Robert Petkus

Brookhaven National Laboratory
Physics Dept. - Bldg. 510A