Re: OpenLDAP and BDB configuration advice

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Mavric Domen    ITWEN5 wrote:

Hello,

I'm planning to populate my OpenLDAP database with big amount of data.
In the final phase there will be approximately 5 mio entries (150000000
attributes, 10 indexes ) in the LDAP tree.

Most of the data will be inserted by slapadd or ldapadd in the database
installation phase, in the "running" phase an application will only read
from directory, writing will happen hardly ever.

How to configure slapd and BerkeleyDB (BDB) to handle and operate
efficiently?

Does someone out there work with the same amount of data, so he or she
can give me advice how to set up slapd.conf and DB_CONFIG?

Regarding back-bdb, you should read the FAQ entries located here: http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1166.html

and definitely this one regarding the DB_CONFIG set_cachesize
directive:

Regarding slapd.conf, the man page and the Admin Guide
(http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/slapdconfig.html) will give you
plenty to get started. Afterward, there is no shortcut or substitute
for monitoring and tweaking your setup to get the best performance
for your specific use cases.

I'd really like to see some examples of those two files.

Why rely on examples from other implementations which are almost certainly not the same as yours, when you can work out these settings for your own implementation, get better performance, and learn a lot at the same time? :-)

--
  Kirk Turner-Rustin       | Programmer/Analyst
  Ohio Wesleyan University | Libraries and Information Services