Creating a safe test & prod environment on one machine

I need to upgrade openldap, but I have only one machine to work with.
Basically, I'd like to run a prod and test environment on one machine.
Does anyone have any experience doing this so libraries and misc files
(important file) don't get overwritten in the upgrade process.

I'm starting with soemthing like ./configure --prefix=usr/local/test but
I'm concerned its not that simple... Of course starting slapd on a
different port ...)

regards,

--
Joe