RE: 2.2.23 vs 2.3.1alpha speed compairisons

>> I don't think your statement is correct ... you can improve performance
>> by tuning the logging subsystem:
>>
>> http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/893.html
>> http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/log_list.html
>>
>> Since you don't include any set_lg_* entries, I assume you don't have
>> any in your DB_CONFIG file, in which case performance (especially for
>> writes) will be dismal with logging enabled.
>
>None of this, however, addresses the basic problems of Berkeley DB 4.3:
>
>1) There is no way to disable logs.
>2) The sleepycat alternative (in-memory logs) is poorly implemented, and it
>is fairly trivial to make it take out a slapadd or running slapd process.
>3) Even using disk-based logs, BDB 4.3 will still run out of resources for
>its transaction system fairly quickly.
>
>I'm able to trigger (2) & (3) easily, even with a properly tuned DB_CONFIG
>file using the set_lg_* parameters.
>
>--Quanah

I tried another run with logging turned on, but using bigger buffers as suggested above - performance was still horrible.  I saw very little improvement.

On the plus side, I rebuilt 2.3.1alpha against BerkeleyDB 4.2.52 - and its performance is pretty much equal to that of the 2.2.23, for my little tests anyway.

Has anyone filed a bug with Sleepycat about this?  It seems like a pretty major thing for OpenLdap users.

Dan