Re: Problem with CN containg multiple spaces

Robert Waldner wrote:

Hi!

I have a situation where I need data from an "Active Directory" mangled and then stored in a local slapd instance.

The problem is that there are a couple DNs which only differ in the amount of spaces in the CN, eg
CN=Doe\, John,OU=Users,DC=local
CN=Doe\, John,OU=Users,DC=local
^
When I try to add a group with both of those as members, all I get is
"value #n provided more than once". It also fails when I try to add the
second one as an organizationalPerson.

AFAIU the RFCs, every field value is basically a string, with a couple special characters escaped. A blank not at start or end of the string is
not one those characters.

Any hints on how I could get this working?

(slapd from OpenLDAP 2.1.30, Debian -3, on a Debian Sarge system)

As per directoryString syntax (the syntax used by the "cn" attribute inside your DN), multiple spaces are treated as a single space when the DN is normalized/prettified. As a consequence, although differently represented, the two DNs you show are exactly the same when compared.

p.