Re: mailinglist quarrels

Remco,

Consider the vhost question recently redirected.  But
instead of LDAP, consider first whether it appropriate
for an admin to ask an Apache configuration question
on a list about filesystems.  I would hope we'd agree
that a filesystem list is not an appropriate forum for
asking questions about how to configure Apache vhost
support.  It should be obvious that the appropriate
place to ask questions about how to configure Apache
vhost support is a list about Apache regardless of
whether Apache  stores that information in files or
in a directory.

Likewise for the recently redirected Outlook question.

I think it odd to categorize either of these issues
as 'interoperability problems'.  Just as it would be
odd to consider problems properly configuring Apache
via files an interoperability problem between Apache
and the filesystem, it is likewise odd to consider
problems properly configuring Apache via LDAP an
interoperability between Apache and a directory
server as an interoperability problem.

While I do think that sometimes folks misanalysis
the problems they face that may lead to them approaching
a less than appropriate list.  We try to point folks
to an appropriate list when that happens.

But, I note, many off-topic posts are not directed here
due to some misanalysis of the problems faced.  Many
of the off-topic posters actually know their problem
know their problem is not specific to OpenLDAP Software,
(some aren't even using OpenLDAP Software).   They just
figure they might be able to (more easily) obtain an
answer to their problem here than elsewhere.

Anyways, we previously tried more liberal post acceptance
practice.  That failed miserably.  The amount of crap on
the list grew quickly to the point were many of the
topic-area experts left, leading to many more on-topic
questions going unanswered.  To fulfill the purpose of
the list, answering on-topic questions, we had to install
stricter post acceptance practices.  That resulted in
improvement in the quantity and quality of answers
(to on-topic posts)

Now, its been suggested that another list would be helpful.
We've already tried that (openldap-general) and it wasn't
terribly helpful.  In fact, it was harmful in a number
of ways.  Folks with questions flocked there, folks with
the answers avoided the list.  And, it can be argued,
many narrowly focused lists dried up as well.

But, if you think having a 'general', 'interoperability', or
'integration' list would be a good thing, I suggest you
simply use the <ldap@umich.edu> list.

Kurt