Re: OpenLDAP as Active Directory replacement - is it possible?

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

    Tomasz> Hello, I've been trying to figure out if it's possible to
    Tomasz> replace Active Directory with OpenLDAP (+ Samba, Kerberos,
    Tomasz> DNS etc.) on Linux - but from what I've found I'm not sure.

It's very much possible. It DO depend a little on what you want it for.
If you're going to use Exchange, then better go with AD. From what I've
heard it IS possible to configure OpenLDAP for this, but I never actually
heard any REAL success stories (only 'it should be possible provided you ...').

Well, so far I don't need Exchange, there are other alternatives for that for Linux I think.

(...)

    Tomasz> Where can I find any HOWTOS/documents on this? I spent an
    Tomasz> hour googling but found nothing promising so far.

http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html

It deals with everything but Samba (never had a use for it :).

Hmmm, I'm looking for something more like "OpenLDAP+Kerberos+Samba+CyrusSASL a Active Directory HOWTO" :)

I don't feel like inventing all that alone; just implementing all that bits and pieces together seem to be a really painful and lengthy process...

Tomek

Bar w Internecie wciaz bez cenzury! >>> http://link.interia.pl/f1835