Re: slapd feature

On Mon, 2004-13-09 at 20:46 +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> man, 13.09.2004 kl. 20.06 skrev Quanah Gibson-Mount:
> >
> > No.  The schema is kept in a file, whereas the data is kept in a database.
> > So you need to update the schema on all your slaves when you update it on
> > the master as well.  Perhaps in a future release this will no longer be the
> > case.
>
> Supposing the slave has a different base with different subsets of
> objectclasses? Supposing ... slapd.conf and its include files would also
> have to be updated to cope. One'd be dealing with a separate DB for all
> of these, instead of flat files - I'll be gaga before that's realized
> (or I'm a Dutchman ;)

I really have no idea what your trying to say here.

> This would also go against the grain of syncrepl and proxying.

Perhaps, but ...

> I take it that people don't have so many slaves/consumers that
> individual configuration would become impossible. Although Novell has a
> good solution with eDirectory (had already with NDS 4.1), but that's
> another ball game ;)

NDS is capable of doing read-write replication, and a whole bunch of
other things that OpenLDAP is not.

The easiest solution to distributing the schema files is not to do so at
all. That is, turn schema checking off on all servers except for the
master.