Re: Readonly slapd instances sharing database?

--On Wednesday, September 01, 2004 1:28 PM -0500 "D. Lovell" <wheretkb@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:50:36 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga <kurt@openldap.org>
wrote:
At 08:28 AM 9/1/2004, D. Lovell wrote:
> Some of our applications occasionally open enough
> connections to the servers that we hit the 1024 file descriptor limit
> per slapd process.
On most platforms, the file descriptor limit can be significantly
increased. I suggest you try that.

The file descriptor limit is 8192 for the userid slapd runs as and OpenLDAP was built with that FD_SETSIZE (env CPPFLAGS="-DFD_SETSIZE=8192"). I have verified that other applications running as the slapd userid can grab up to 8192 file descriptors. However, slapd maxes out at 1024 file descriptors every time:

Aug 17 16:35:46 sparky slapd[8406]: daemon: 1024 beyond descriptor
table size 1024

This is on Red Hat ES 3.0.

Is there some other build option that should be included in order
enable a larger file descriptor limit?

Thank you very much for your response and time.

The operating system itself may be limiting the file descriptor limit that a user process can use. I suggest reading the man page on "sysctl" and perhaps tweaking sysctl.conf.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer