Re: Readonly slapd instances sharing database?

D. Lovell wrote:
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:50:36 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga <kurt@openldap.org> wrote:

At 08:28 AM 9/1/2004, D. Lovell wrote:

Some of our applications occasionally open enough
connections to the servers that we hit the 1024 file descriptor limit
per slapd process.
On most platforms, the file descriptor limit can be significantly

increased. I suggest you try that.

The file descriptor limit is 8192 for the userid slapd runs as and
OpenLDAP was built with that FD_SETSIZE (env
CPPFLAGS="-DFD_SETSIZE=8192").  I have verified that other
applications running as the slapd userid can grab up to 8192 file
descriptors.  However, slapd maxes out at 1024 file descriptors every
time:

Aug 17 16:35:46 sparky slapd[8406]: daemon: 1024 beyond descriptor
table size 1024

This is on Red Hat ES 3.0.

Is there some other build option that should be included in order
enable a larger file descriptor limit?

In my experience you have to edit __FD_SETSIZE in "/usr/include/bits/typesizes.h". Please let me know if you find a better solution.

Yours,
John
--
           John Borwick