Re: ldapmodify hangs on ldif import

(Problem has disappeared but more info on it at the end)

Yikes! Sorry, while I was writing I was reminding myself to go back and add this info at the top, and forgot...

What version of OpenLDAP?

The stable 20031217 (planning to go to 2.2.13 before production, though).

What is your backend database (bdb, ldbm, hdb)?

bdb

What is your underlying database software (BDB, gdbm, etc)?

Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)

What does your configuration file for the underlying database software have in it?

Purely default install of Sleepycat BDB.

Why are you using ldapadd and not slapadd?

Because I was working with the PADL Migration tools and the LDIF data on my workstation, not the server. Thought slap* utilities were server-side and ldap* client-side. Is that not right? Is it safer to do the updates directly on the server via slapadd? Does this care if the server is currently online or not (docs and LDAP System Administration don't mention it but thought I'd ask). I always figured slapadd was what you do to restore after you do a slapcat.

Ok, now on to the problem, which has cleared up. After I reproduced the problem three times and it froze at the same place each time, and each time I had to do a kill -9, this finally corrupted the db, and I had to perform a db_recover. After doing this, I cannot reproduce the error. Perhaps my database was in a slightly corrupted state already when I was doing this testing. This might be related to a different problem I'm having but I will post that in a separate thread after more testing (I often can't get slapd to respond to a kill -INT).

-Fran

--
Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst