ldapmodify hangs on ldif import

I was performing an ldapmodify ldif import today on my test ldap server. We're migrating from NIS, but while NIS is still live, I periodically sync the NIS passwords into LDAP by using the PADL migration tools to dump the NIS passwd/shadow into an ldif and then using ldapmodify to load into LDAP. We have ~ 1000 users. This morning, it hung on a particular user, to where slapd was taking up 99.9% CPU and not responding to any other requests. It required a kill -9. I repeated the behavior and it hung in the exact same spot. I removed that particular record from the LDIF and it went a lot farther, but then hung on another account (again, behavior that I could repeat predictably).

The LDIF records themselves look fine. The slapd log just shows this (a good record followed by one that hangs):

Aug 11 09:51:18 throne slapd[6061]: conn=45 op=250 MOD dn="uid=hernandez,ou=People,dc=cis,dc=uab,dc=edu"
Aug 11 09:51:18 throne slapd[6061]: conn=45 op=250 MOD attr=uid mail cn sn objectClass userPassword shadowLastChange loginShell uidNumber gidNumber homeDirectory gecos
Aug 11 09:51:18 throne slapd[6061]: conn=45 op=250 RESULT tag=103 err=0 text=
Aug 11 09:51:18 throne slapd[6061]: conn=45 op=251 MOD dn="uid=carterj,ou=People,dc=cis,dc=uab,dc=edu"
Aug 11 09:51:18 throne slapd[6061]: conn=45 op=251 MOD attr=uid mail cn sn objectClass userPassword shadowLastChange loginShell uidNumber gidNumber homeDirectory gecos
[and just hangs here]

The interesting part is that the users it is hanging on would be active users. It hung on the web server user, and then on this carterj user who I know is active at the moment. Is this some sort of locking I'm running into?

I going to crank up the debugging output from slapd, but I was wondering if what I am seeing is common and has an easy answer. I've done other imports and have never seen it hang like this, so it's new for me.

Thanks,
Fran

--
Fran Fabrizio