Re: Ang. RE: Bdb defaults - WAS: problem importing entries.

--On Tuesday, June 15, 2004 8:31 PM +0200 Buchan Milne <bgmilne@obsidian.co.za> wrote:

| OpenLDAP is a massively flexible piece of software.  So are the
| underlying software components that plug in.  I think the premise that a
| person can just install and go is flawed, and I think the premise that
| people can just "set up" OpenLDAP while skipping on the documentation is
| flawed as well.

But, it seems that the time spent on reading the docs + time spent
implementing is much higher for openldap than many other projects.

I'm not sure I agree with that. We deal with a lot of Opensource and proprietary systems for our infrastructure needs at Stanford. My recent experience with Remedy 6.0, for example, has made me quite thankful for my experiences with OpenLDAP. I find that failing to read the documentation and gain an understanding of how the application works invariably leads to more work for the end user when things don't work as expected.

| The quantity and quality of the documentation available | in the FAQ, Admin guide, and man pages has increased substantially since | I've been working with OpenLDAP, and I think it is more valuable to put | energy into those areas than to try and come up with "defaults" that in | the end are most likely to cause more confusion that in people had | simply taken the time to read the documentation. Of course, we live in | a society that expects 30 second infomercials to tell them how to do | everything, so I suppose this thread shouldn't be too surprising. ;)

Were you replying to my issue with global ACLs, or just using it as an
opportunity to criticise people who try to ship openldap packages that
work mostly out-the-box for limited supported (by me) configurations?

Actually, no, I misread your email as a suggestion for default settings for OpenLDAP, not default settings for your distribution, my apologies.

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html